Monday, January 31, 2011

Introductions Are in Order (Numbered Order, Actually)

Hello, reader. I’m grateful you made it.

So, what will you be reading here? I’ve been thinking about it for the three-plus years that I have owned this domain, and I’ve narrowed it down to about 20 different topics. Back in the day, I used to preach sermons to people who didn’t know how to get plugged into their local church, and I’d say, “If you don’t know what to do, then just do SOMETHING.” I’m at that point with writing. “Write SOMETHING.”

Think of writing topics as marshmallows in cold cocoa (because they would melt in hot cocoa). I’ll stir up the cocoa and see what floats up to the top on any given day. Did I mention that the cocoa is in a vase, wide at the bottom and narrow at the top? That way, the topics can mix up in the bottom, but only one will float up to the surface on any given day. Or maybe two will float up, if they’re smaller. To summarize, my picking what to write about on this blog will be like stirring up a vase full of cold cocoa with marshmallows. I know… deep. Sometimes the images just pour out of me like some sort of liquid out of a container.

Here are some probable tags that I will be using, in no particular order.
1. Family. This won’t be a family blog, per se, but the fam is an important part of my life so it figures to get some blog space. Also, people who know me (who may forever comprise 100% of my readership) might be more interested in how the kids are doing than, say, my thoughts on Springsteen. Give the people what they want, I say.

2. Music. Speaking of Springsteen. Expect an entry or two on the Boss. At least three people I know fit into the overlapping section of a Venn diagram with the circles “know Rob” and “like Springsteen”, and www.willpreachforfood will probably be their homepage within a few days. Other musical themes will get mention as well, not the least of which will be 80’s music (remind me to get my spellcheck to ignore the word “kajagoogoo”). 

3. Movies. There is a gaping hole in the internet on this topic.

4. TV. See #3.

5. Keeping House. Expect all sort of tips and tricks that make you say, “Why does he do it that way?”

6. Writing About Writing. This has been called the “writingiest of all topics”, and will be a recurring theme on WPFF. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with writing, but it has always been an important part of my life. People who write often wrestle and struggle with making good use of their abilities. I’m one of those people, and I hope that as I examine my past, present, and future use of this form of communication, I can learn to make better use of writing—and maybe even help others do the same.

7. God & the Bible. At the time of this writing, I’m not a pastor anymore, but am still a Christian. It’s fair to say I’ve been struggling with God for a few years now. Maybe my relationship with God mirrors my relationship with writing in some ways; both connecting with God and writing take time, focus, and are easy to put off for another day.

8. Church & Ministry. Not sure what I’ll be saying about this yet.

9. Poems, Lyrics, & Creative Stuff. Mostly just poems and lyrics, but I can’t promise I won’t get otherwise creative on you. I’m unpredictable like that.

10. Sports. See #3.

11. What I Did Instead of Blogging. Some days I will have to choose between blogging and doing something else. If that “something else” is interesting enough, I may—paradoxically—turn it into a blog entry. This may also include texts of other things that I write instead of blogging.

12. Tech Stuff. Though I am an abacus in the world of computer technology, I am convinced computers and their technological brethren (e.g., iphones, the internet, etc.) are not just a fad. So I will observe them, engage with them, learn their ways, and blog about my observations.

13. Adventures & Field Trips. Whether I’m going hiking in the Alps or returning some extra ribbon to Hobby Lobby, if something interesting happens, I may just blog about it.

14. Reviews. In addition to movies (these reviews will receive the coveted “double tag”), I may review books, parks, restaurants, toys, websites, car shows, or any number of things.

15. Life, the Universe, and Everything Else. I may change the name of this tag, but the gist of it is something like “random observations or experiences that don’t fit into any other categories.”

16. Logistics. Stuff about this blog. Like this post!

17. ???. There may be even more tags in the pipeline.

There you have it. When can you expect posts on WPFF? Well, set your alarm for 7:00 a.m. every Wednesday and Friday. Then wait about 15 hours. At that point, Lord willing and if I live and cooperate, there will be a new post each of those 2 days. I expect to build on that schedule. Is five days a week out of reach? Seven? TBD, my friend. TBD. Until Wednesday…

-THP

1 comment:

  1. As a member of the Venn diagram described in #2, I am greatly looking forward to Wednesdays and Fridays.

    ReplyDelete